Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Seriously?

I love my car. It's a 2006 Honda CRV and it is the perfect car for drives to mountains, cross country road trips and handling in Denver's random snowstorms. It has not been involved in any accidents (sorry Windstar) and it's brakes have never randomly failed on me (Ahem,I'm talking to you 1996 CRV). It has never hurt a soul.

A few Monday's ago I came out in a snowstorm to go to work. My beautiful car was sitting nicely in the street where we had left it the night before. The scene was something like this:


When I approached my car to dust off the snow and get inside as quickly as possible, I couldn't help but notice that the passenger's sideview mirror was sitting on the hood.


Now, being the sweetheart that I am, I imagined that someone got a little too close to our car on Sunday night and swiped off the mirror. Sure, it would be a less than ideal situation, but one that I could understand. I decided I didn't feel comfortable driving in that much snow without a sideview mirror and went back inside to wait out the storm.

I cam down about an hour later and actually started brushing the snow off of the car. There was finally a little visibility. That's when I began to notice that there were cuts and dents on the driver's side of the car. This is the side on the curb- no on the street. It couldn't have been caused by a sideswipe. It started to become clear that someone had actually attacked my innocent CRV!



I had never been in a situation like this before (I mean, really, who has?) but I did the right thing and called 911. A Denver police office was there in less than five minutes and after talking on the phone for a few minutes informed me that the unheard of had in fact happened: they already had the guy who did this in jail. WOW. That was a shock. Usually you hear about these middle of the night attacks on cars without any suspects. Apparently the guy who attacked our car was kicked out of a bar. His reaction? He hit our car with a wrought iron chair. They had to chase him a few blocks away and pepper spray him down after he hit that sideview mirror across three lanes of traffic. The damage ended up costing $3,700! Luckily, our insurance covered it. We are working now on getting the deductible back.

We have learned our lesson. No parking in front of bars! I hope the attacker learned his lesson, too: no more drinking on sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment